The Enterprise UX program focused on four themes that tell the story of enterprise UX, sandwiched by inspiring keynotes and punctuated by an enterprise UX storytelling session.
Wednesday, May 13, 2015
Understanding enterprise “users” means observing and learning from people who are extremely distributed and specialized. Many—from CIOs to purchasing agents to call center reps—aren’t end users. At the same time, the enterprise may be hosting an abundance of diffuse, distributed data about these people. We explored how to do the right research and get the the right data within enterprise settings, and how to synthesize results from a variety of research activities taking place across the enterprise.
- Steve Portigal, author of Interviewing Users (theme leader)
- “Insight Types That Influence Enterprise Decision Makers” with Christian Rohrer, Vice President and Chief Design Officer, Intel Security / deck / video / sketch note
- “Data Science and Design: A Tale of Two Tribes” with Chris Chapo, Operations at ENJOY / deck / video / sketch note
- “Emotion Economy: Ethnography as Corporate Strategy” with Kelly Goto, author of Web Redesign 2.0 / deck / video / sketch note
- Discussion with speakers and audience, led by Steve Portigal / video / sketch note
What design techniques and methods produce successful enterprise products and services? How do we move from focusing on delivering features to creating engagement and delight? We covered examples of effective design practices and innovative outcomes for enterprises.
- Kendra Shimmell, Managing Director, Cooper (theme leader)
- “The GE Design System and Thoughts about Craft at Scale” with David Cronin, Executive Design Director, Industrial Internet Applications, GE / deck / video / sketch note
- “The Wicked Craft of Enterprise UX” with Uday Gajendar, Principal Designer, Peel / deck / video / sketch note
- “The Architecture of Understanding” with Peter Morville, President, Semantic Studios / deck / video / sketch note
- Discussion with speakers and audience, led by Kendra Shimmell / video / sketch note
Enterprise Storytelling Sessions
With curation and support from Dan Willis, eight presenters told their enterprise UX stories: Kim Bieler, Jane Bungum, David Cain, Audrey Crane, Lada Gorlenko, Jordan Koschei, Liu Liu, and Eva Miller. / deck / video / sketch note
Thursday, May 14, 2015
Lean and agile approaches are challenging to apply to cumbersome products with complex systems and release cycles, and diverse stakeholders. We’ll explore how enterprises are using and benefiting from experimental approaches.
- Steve Sanderson, Resident Lean Startup Expert, Rackspace (theme leader)
- “Lean Engineering: Engineering for Learning and Experimentation in the Enterprise” with Bill Scott, VP Business Engineering, Paypal / deck / video / sketch note
- “How to Coach Enterprise Experimentation” with Alissa Briggs, Director of User Experience, Brigade / deck / video / sketch note
- “Innovation Studios: the Engines of Enterprise Experimentation” with Jeff Gothelf, Principal, Neo / deck / video / sketch note
- Discussion with speakers and audience, led by Steve Sanderson / video / sketch note
Organizational culture is the infrastructure of successful experience design. We explored strategies and methods for having better “organizational conversations” and ways to improve systems, governance and standards, communication channels, lines of business, and team and organizational structures—really, how to move entire organizations forward.
- Marc Rettig, Managing Principal, Fit Associates (theme leader)
- “A Consistent Culture of Design” with Phil Gilbert, General Manager, IBM Design / deck / video / sketch note
- “Culture Change—My Journey” with Julie Baher, Sr. Director of UX, Illumina / deck / video / sketch note
- “Redefining Value: Bridging the Innovation Culture Divide” with Nathan Shedroff, Program Chair, MBA in Design Strategy, California College of the Arts / deck / video / sketch note
- Discussion with speakers and audience, led by Marc Rettig / video / sketch note
Friday, May 15, 2015
- Soft Skills Are Hard: Thrive In a Diverse Work Culture with Steve Portigal
- Redefining the Value of Customer Experience in the Enterprise with Nathan Shedroff / deck
- Mobile Design and Innovation for Complex Systems with Theresa Neil / deck
- Lean UX in the Enterprise: Combining Agile, Lean, and User-Centered Design with Jeff Gothelf / deck