You’ve got a seat at the table, but now what? UX practitioners have powerful tools for understanding people, but often lack key skills needed to navigate and influence the business environments in which they work. This workshop will jump start your ability to “think business” by providing you with the key principles for finance, organizational structure, and strategy so you are positioned to make better decisions in business settings.
Using a case study-based methodology, participants in Business Thinking for Designers will dissect the goals and challenges of the business from multiple lenses to better understand and gain empathy for the work of stakeholders.
You’ll leave the workshop with:
- Foundational knowledge of business principles
- An understanding of how UX can be best positioned in relation to—not siloed from—the larger organization and its cross-functional teams
- A clear perspective on how UX can help define and meet enterprise business goals
- Cultivating a business mindset in UX (30 min)
- Deepening empathy for the enterprise (30 min)
- The meaning and significance of key financial indicators (1 hr)
- The anatomy of an organization’s structure (1 hr)
- The building blocks for identifying and formulating corporate strategy (1 hr)
- Reframing our UX practices with a business mindset (1 hr)
- Optimizing cross-functional collaboration to meet enterprise goals (30 min)
- Wrap-up and group discussion (30 min)