**As of August 23, 2019, this workshop is sold out.**
Design Your Design Organization
As the move to establish in-house design teams accelerates, it turns out there’s very little common wisdom on what makes for a successful design organization.
In this workshop, Peter Merholz and Kristin Skinner draw from their groundbreaking book Org Design for Design Orgs, and address this lacuna by shining a light on the unsung activities of actually running a design team, the organizational and operational challenges and considerations, and what works and what doesn’t.
The workshop will be structured as a facilitated conversation, light on presentation, with activities to get things going.
- How a service mindset reframes design practice
- Organizational models for design teams
- Evolution of a design organization from 2 to 10 to 60 to 150 to 300 and beyond
- A new taxonomy of design roles
- The 12 qualities of effective design organizations
- The set of skills necessary to deliver great experiences
- Levels framework for professional development
- The crucial role of leadership in your design organization
- The importance of (re-)structuring your design organization to deliver the best experience to your users
- A maturity model for assessing just how effective and sophisticated your design organization is
- An understanding of what roles to bring on at what stages of organizational growth
- Management tips for getting the most out of your team
- A clear levels framework that supports designer professional development, and plugs into operations across your design organization
- How to establish a DesignOps practice in your organization