The role of design with large organizations is expanding, spreading across product teams and influencing decision-making at higher and higher levels. This scale makes it increasingly challenging to align product teams to deliver cohesive, consistent experiences efficiently across a customer journey.
Interested in this course?Get Started
Who this is for
Designers, front end developers, product managers, content strategists, their leadership, and anyone interested in learning how to inject design systems into their broader organization.
What you’ll learn
- With an understanding of the outcomes to achieve and outputs to produce, you’ll be able to plan how to get your system started, rebooted, or into its next phase.
- You’ll be equipped with techniques and tactics to incrementally design, build and document each system feature and release it to your organization.
- Once the system comes together, you will have designers, developers, and product managers aligned on common design standards and motivated to bridge the gap between products.
- With a design system’s foundations and components as shorthand in the design process, you’ll elevate discussions of product design and community contribution to a higher level.
Over the course of a day, we’ll introduce design systems, practice how to get started, discuss how style guides help us spread it to our organization, and plan for how to sustain a system over time.
We’ll learn about and practice how to:
- Define your system’s scope, people who contribute, and products to which it applies
- Plan an approach to start a system from scratch or reboot an existing effort
- Deconstruct system into its parts like a visual language, UI components, and layouts
- Organize a library that articulate standards across diverse topics and disciplines
- Align your development, product, and marketing teams work with your system’s roadmap
- Document components and other system features effectively
- Prioritize the processes you’ll develop for your system’s makers, users, and community of contributors
- Articulate your system’s objectives aligned with measurable key results