In today’s fast-moving world, organizations do not have time for six-month research cycles and 200-page PowerPoint presentations. Keeping pace with highly networked customers requires integrating qualitative and quantitative data to generate customer insights that are both holistic and scalable. This workshop takes participants on a hands-on journey through Integrated Data Thinking, teaching them a whole new way to generate actionable insights in rapid iterative cycles.
Audience: Mixed (leaders, practitioners); appropriate for teams of all sizes
- A practice (“learning sprints”) for rapidly generating human insights from qualitative and/or quantitative data
- A shared language around data and insights that can be quickly adopted and implemented throughout an organization
- Actionable frameworks for understanding and navigating the difference between optimization and discovery-level work with data
- Relevant examples and case studies from across industries
- Best practices for sharing actionable and holistic insights
- The ability to diagnose and treat an over-reliance on one kind of data (qualitative or quantitative) and/or one order of insights (discovery or optimization)
- Hands-on experience with both quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Increased comfort and confidence in gathering and presenting actionable customer insights
- What Is Integrated Data Thinking? (30 minutes)
- Introducing the concept of Integrated Data Thinking through relevant and relatable business cases
- Demonstrating how Integrated Data Thinking allows us to work seamlessly between qualitative and quantitative approaches, and discovery and optimization-level work
- Mapping Your Organization’s Current Insights Work (30 mins)
- Mapping your organization’s current insights work to the Integrated Data Thinking framework, to help identify where additional work might be needed
- Integrated Data Thinking in Action Sprint 1: Quantitative/Discovery (1.5 hrs)
- Using an example business case, we walk through our first Integrated Data Thinking Sprint, using quantitative demographic data from participants to create an algorithmic system.
- Integrated Data Thinking in Action Sprint 2: Qualitative/Discovery (1.5 hrs)
- Continuing our example business case, we walk through our second sprint, gathering qualitative data through ethnographic interviews conducted between participants
- Integrated Data Thinking in Action Sprint 3: Quantitative/Optimization (1 hr)
- Continuing our example business case, we reimagine the quantitative instrument we used in Sprint 1 based on insights we generated in Sprint 2, effectively using quantitative data to scale our qualitative insights.
- Presenting Holistic Insights (1 hr)
- One of the biggest challenges around customer insights is finding the right way to present them. Here we create “Integrated Data Stories” that present the findings from our sprints in clear and actionable terms.
- Debrief / Action Planning (30 minutes)
- We discuss how Integrated Data Thinking could be used by participants to solve their own business problems with holistic and scalable customer insights, and make action plans for bringing this practice back to their day-to-day work