Card sort analysis spreadsheet
Over the past few years I have been slowly developing and refining a spreadsheet I use for analysis of card sorts. I have used it on many projects and find it invaluable for helping me manage the data and spot patterns.
I use it to analyse results from physical (i.e. not software) open card sorts. It could quite easily be used for closed card sorts as well, though I haven't done that as I don't do closed sorts.
I have refined it to the point where I'm happy with it, and have prepared instructions for it. The instructions and spreadsheet are completely free for you to use however you wish.
There are four files available:
- Card sort analysis spreadsheet instructions (PDF, 715KB)
- Empty card sort analysis spreadsheet template for 20 participants (ZIP, 765KB) (last updated 14 December 2009)
- Example spreadsheet with content (XLS, 2.0MB): based on papers from the IA Summit
- Empty card sort analysis spreadsheet template for 40 participants (ZIP, 2.3MB) (last updated 14 December 2009)
If you use it, please let me know how you go!
Some other random notes:
- I have done everything I know to make the PDF screen-reader friendly, but please let me know if it isn't
- I use a PC and know it works on a PC. I have had mixed response from friends with Macs - for some it works, some it doesn't. If it doesn't, please let me know and I'll explore further
- In the comments below is an answer to the question "What do I do with sub-categories". I'll include this in the instructions next time I revise them
Entering the card names:
Summary of all cards and standardised categories:
Analysis of categories:
Visualisation of results: